About to turn off the computer and go in search of what looks like some a sunny weeks end night. But first, in honour of what I am hoping is a sunny, summery weekend, a tasty little treat for all of you …. Sapphire Smoked Melon Soup cooked up by Chef Rob Rainford:
Tried this yummy concoction a few week’s back at a rooftop barbecue sponsored by Bombay Sapphire. The recipe itself can be found below:
Honey Dew Melon Soup
Original Recipe by Chef Rob Rainford
- Alder wood chips, presoaked for a minimum of 2 hours
- 1 Honey dew melon, cubed and peeled (approx 1?2 cup)
- 1 cup Pineapple juice
- 1 Lemon (juice only)
- 1 Lime (juice only)
- 6 pc Basil leaves, chopped
- 3 Tbsp BOMBAY SAPPHIRE gin
- 4 Tbsp Simple syrup
The Rainford Method:
It’s time to get your charcoal grill or gas BBQ ready for smoking.
- Charcoal grill: Using your chimney starter, light the coals. It should take you around 15 minute to light 15-20 pieces of lump charcoal. Once the coals are lit, add 2 handfuls of soaked alder wood chips directly to the coals. This will give you big smoke. For the flavor profile required, you only need to smoke for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Gas BBQ: Prepare smoke pouch. Place 8 cups (2 liter) of alder wood chips into a bowl of cold water to soak for 1 hour. Reserve 4 cups (1 liter) of dry wood chips. To build a smoke pouch, drain 2 cups (500ml) of the wet wood chips and squeeze excess water out. Spread wet wood chips on a large piece of aluminum foil. Place 1 cup (250ml) of dry wood chips on top. Mix them together. Close the foil around the chips to make a sealed foil package. Use a fork to puncture holes in the top and bottom of the foil pack to allow the smoke to flow through and infuse the meat. Repeat to make 4 pouches. Place the smoke pouch on the side of the grill with direct heat.
To prepare the Honey Dew Melon Soup, place your halved and peeled honey dew melon on the indirect heat side of your smoker or gas grill. Allow the smoke to do its work and envelope the cavity of the smoker or gas grill. After the desired time (15 to 20 minutes), remove the honey dew from the grill. Cut the honey dew into bite size pieces and liquefy it in the blender on high speed along with the pineapple juice, lemon juice, lime juice, basil, simple syrup and BOMBAY SAPPHIRE gin.
Note: For best results, let this mixture to sit over night. This allows the flavor of the gin to flourish.
Serve BOMBAY SAPPHIRE gin Honey Dew Melon Soup chilled with a dollop of Lime Sorbet.
Oh and don’t let the word ‘soup’ fool you, this is really a bit of summer poured into a cocktail glass.
Now, who wants to make me some this weekend?